Thursday, December 14, 2006

Scarf OCD

Well, because my scarf drive is over and I still have scarf OCD, as my sister says, I’m going to make a scarf for The Red Scarf Project.

I’m half way through another scarf right now and then I’m going to work on making a little poncho for Gracie. If I get circular needles for Christmas, I might try my hand at some hats and even some chemo caps to donate to the hospital. Jason complained that I haven’t made anything for him, so I might try to fit a scarf in for him too. I just have to get some yarn that will match his coat and be “manly”.

We made a challenge for Austin to try to boost his AR points in reading. He’s doing awesome as it is, but I thought a little push might improve him that much more. They currently have AR teams in his classroom where they compete with the other teams to see who can get the most points. He has really boosted his team’s score by reading Old Yeller. He didn’t pass the AR test (only got 70% and you need 80%) but he did get 3.5 points. I wanted him to review the book with me first, but he jumped the gun and took the test the same day he finished the book. I’m still proud of the 70% though since that book is a 5.0 AR level and worth 5 points. Most of the books his classmates are reading are a 3.5-3.9 AR level and .05-1 point.

So the challenge is this:

If he gets 7-9 AR points in January, we’ll take him to lunch at Moe’s. If he gets 10+ points, he gets lunch at Moe’s and the book of his choice from Borders. I think 7 points is a very realistic goal. In December so far, he’s received 5.5 points and there is still almost a week left.

1 comment:

jkhenson said...

I don't check for a few days and you go and change some things! :) Like the scarves. I'm a bit envious. The ones I knit are so plain. I like the changes, and I, too, have a "book back log". :)I'm reading a Mary Higgins Clark Christmas mystery, that should go pretty fast. Hope you're doing well!